.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

I'm a software engineer / partner working for a young company in Austin, Texas, USA. I spend most of my free time hanging out with friends and family, eating out, and partying in the Warehouse District. I should spend more time working on my house....

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Morally bankrupt bill

At present the US Senate is considering a bill that would radically undermine the bankruptcy protections that citizens in the US have. Its proponents suggest that this bill is designed to fight fraud but this law goes far beyond fighting fraud. For more information on the bill look here and here. I highly recommend you contact your federal representatives concerning this bill. The letter I sent to my Senators is below:
Dear Honorable Senator:

I am writing you today because I am very concerned about the Bankruptcy reform bill. Everything I have read about the bill tells me that this bill is bad for the average American and good for the large Credit Card companies. I certainly don't think that someone should be allowed to ignore their debts, but certain reasonable exceptions should be made. This bill does not allow for any subjective consideration of the circumstances that caused an individual to go into bankruptcy. It doesn't respect the fact that two thirds of the individuals filing for bankruptcy are filing due to medical expenses, not fraud or wild weekends on Rodeo drive. Additionally a major flaw in this bill is that it does not allow any exemption for homes of even modest value. If this bill were to become law an individual forced into bankruptcy due to being injured while protecting America from terrorists could loose their home and be forced to live on the streets. That is unacceptable. For these and many reasons I ask that the good Senator work to defeat this bill and ensure that nothing like it ever reaches the floor of the senate again.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Will


To contact your senator go to the Senate Website. For those of you in Texas contact John Cornyn and Kay Bailey Hutchison.

Update: See today's NY Times op-ed by Paul Krugman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home