.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

I'm a software engineer / partner working for a young company in Austin, Texas, USA. I spend most of my free time hanging out with friends and family, eating out, and partying in the Warehouse District. I should spend more time working on my house....

Friday, March 04, 2005

Very interesting speech

While listening to NPR on the way home from work on Thursday I heard some interesting sections of a speech by novelist and former Peruvian Presidential candidate Mario Vargas Llosa. Llosa was giving an acceptance speech entitled "Confessions of a liberal" for an award at the conservative American Enterprise Institute. In particular I enjoyed the way he described and framed what he felt being a "liberal" meant. I haven't read any of his novels, but I thought the speech was insightful.

The only significant negative I would give the speech was his dismissal of American liberals opposition to the Bush administration's Social Security privatization plans:
Even the left has been reluctant to renege on the privatization of pensions--which has occurred in eleven Latin American countries to date--whereas the more backward left in the United States opposes the privatization of Social Security.
The American media has done a poor job of explaining the fact that liberals (i.e. Democrats), are not opposed to Social Security privatization generally, but rather Bush's specific proposals. Bush has done nothing if not prove that his administration is incompetent, or even malignant to the US budget and economy. Everything from tax proposals, the Medicare Drug program, trade policy and budget policies this administration has yet to have a single success on the economic front. Nothing in the existing Social Secuirity proposals looks to challenge that legacy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home