.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

I'm a software engineer / partner working for a young company in Austin, Texas, USA. I spend most of my free time hanging out with friends and family, eating out, and partying in the Warehouse District. I should spend more time working on my house....

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Houston ISD, helping move Texas back to the third world

After reading this Lasso post and the Houston Chronicle article I am disgusted. The Houston ISD superintendent wants to rollback the Math and Science requirements for High School students. At a time when America is soundly beaten by most of Europe and Asia in national science exams he wants to decrease the amount of education that students receive in these disciplines. Why is he in education? The only logic for this that I can think of is that it might increase graduation rates. Which, from what I have read, are pretty terrible in Houston. The logic therefore goes, "Many of our students aren't graduating, lets lower the bar so it is easier for them to get a diploma, even if they are less prepared for a job or life for that matter." despicable.

As a side note I noticed at the end of the Chronicle article that AISD only requires two math and science courses to graduate and I certainly think that should be upped to 3 if not 4. I took science and math courses every semester for all 4 years of high school and I still feel I wasn't terribly well prepared for the courses at UT. I can't imagine how tough it would have been if I hadn't taken all of those courses and had continuous exposure to the disciplines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home