.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

I'm a software engineer / partner working for a young company in Austin, Texas, USA. I spend most of my free time hanging out with friends and family, eating out, and partying in the Warehouse District. I should spend more time working on my house....

Thursday, July 28, 2005

To Pledge or not to pledge

There is an article in Wednesday's Statesman about a Wimberly city council member that does not recite the pledge to the Texas flag. They mention in the article that in "2003 the Legislature required all public school students to say the U.S. and Texas pledges daily". This annoys the heck out of me. What is the point of performing these pledges? This just wastes valuable teaching time. We should be using those 2-5 minutes everyday to teach something about US government or Texas history. Wouldn't that be more valuable. I bet the kids in India and China that our kids are going to be competing with aren't wasting time on such jingoistic clap-trap. Don't get me started on the idiocy of the Moment of Silence that is mandatory as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home