.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

I'm a software engineer / partner working for a young company in Austin, Texas, USA. I spend most of my free time hanging out with friends and family, eating out, and partying in the Warehouse District. I should spend more time working on my house....

Thursday, August 04, 2005

What's next an internship with Nike?

Read this fluff story on CNN about two young Massachusetts boys who were reported to police for not having a vendors license to sell lemonade. Apparently a worker at a nearby sausage and lemonade vendor reported them and the police were forced to shut them down for lack of a vendor's license. The mayor steps in for the Public Relations coup and gets the owner of the business to allow the boys to work as subcontractors on his vending license.

It is a cute story, but it makes me wonder. IANAL (I am not a lawyer), but what about child labor laws? What about the owner's liability if one of his "subcontractors" is hurt on the job, or a customer gets ill. It seems to me this thing opens all kind of ugly legal windows. Of course, the Mayor comes out clean as a whistle and the vendor had to do something to restore his name in the community (for the sake of his business).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home